The daily post today asks us what our goals are for the new year (because it’s never to early to set goals for ourselves.) This is true – goal setting is something that I do often even though I often fail. Failing at goals is sort of my thing, and yet I like to keep setting them – I like to always have something to reach for.
But, I am set in my ways and I save all of my yearly resolutions for December 31st. Today, I am going to think about my blogging goals and intentions. I like using “intentions” better than the word “goals” for some reason. “I intend to do these things…” sounds better in my head than “I am setting a goal to…” even if they mean pretty much the same thing. Maybe it’s because I think goals are something we strive toward and intentions are some things that we carry with us all the time.
So, I just started this blog yesterday but I have another blog that I write under my real name that sort of disappoints me when it comes to the intentions I once had for it.
I am not going to lie, I want blog followers – I want readers. More than anything, I want a COMMUNITY. I feel very alone in my “real life” and when I come online I find a whole new world of people, and yet even online I’ve never really found myself a community, I’ve never found myself a part of anything real because I myself have never been real. I’ve always glossed over the bad parts of life, and I want to leave that all behind.
So, without further rambling, here are my blogging goals for the next calendar year:
- To post at least every other day. Here’s a little secret: I’ve tried blogging daily a few times and it’s never worked. The farthest I got was 95 days in, and then I went on vacation and just stopped for a week. One of my New Years resolutions WILL be to blog daily, because it’s a resolution every year, and every year I fail. But one of these days, I WILL PREVAIL!
- To get 200 blog followers on WordPress: 200 may seem like a low number to a lot of you, but I’ve been blogging for three years on my other blog and only just reached 100 blog followers. So, to double my readership in less than half the time is a pretty big deal to me.
- To write honest, true posts as a fucking rule. If my day sucked, you are going to know about it. No more glossing over the bad things (of which there are a lot) so you get some sort of sparkly version of what my life is like. Cause it’s not sparkly.
- To engage in the community: In the past, I have not been a good blog commenter, but that is changing now. I will comment the shit out of your posts, and I will comment back to you.
- I will do my best to always be kind: Like I said, you’ll know when I’m pissed off, and I will probably rant like a mofo on certain topics that get me particularly riled up. I have this tendency to not be tactful. I feel like the connection between brain and mouth is thin with this one, if you know what I mean, and I often insult and offend people when I really don’t mean to. So, I’ll do my best to be myself without offending anyone. Tell me, I can’t be the only one with this problem, right?
Five little goals, they look so small here on this little blog post, but think about what your goals mean to you, no matter how big or small they are. If I can accomplish these things in the next year – If I could finally, FINALLY challenge myself to blog daily and keep up with it – that would be mind blowing to me.
What are your blogging goals for the coming year?