Guys, I can’t even. Samara, the amazeballs writer over at A Buick in the Land of Lexus, nominated me for my first ever blogging award today. I was shocked when she told me that she was nominating me for a blogging award, because I’ve only been at this space for three months and have barely even broken into the depths of WordPress yet, but I don’t care, I’ll take it.
The Sunshine Award has a few rules, but because I am a rebel I am not going to follow all of them. Specifically I am not nominating eleven other bloggers, because awards should be special and not handed out all willy nilly, right? Or is that just my opinion? Anyway, I can think of a few bloggers who are special enough for this, but they will be named at the bottom.
The first step for receiving this award is to tell eleven facts about myself that I haven’t shared before. That will be easy, and I love lists! Here we go:
1.) When I was seventeen I was struck by lightning. Ok, it was a flash-by lightning strike. Lightning hit our house at the very instant I was turning on the clothes dryer, and the electricity went through the dryer and into me. It hit me in the legs below both knees and sent me flying a few feet into the air, which made me land and hit my head on a concrete floor, so I was also concussed as well as shocked. Fun times.
2.) My most major celebrity sighting was Nicolas Cage. He sat down next to me at Trash in NYC and looked over at the shoes I was trying on and said “Rad shoes,” and lifted his eyebrows, totally impressed. I bought the shoes.
3.) I hate snow, and if I didn’t have to share custody of my daughter I would move to a place where it never snowed. Now I live in Connecticut, which sucks because we’re supposed to get a foot of snow tomorrow, which is why this is on my mind and so high on my list.
4.) I also hate bananas, and I will projectile vomit if one crosses my lips. The smell of them makes me want to barf, and I don’t allow them in my house or anywhere near me if possible.
5.) My daughter, Squid, had hip dysplasia when she was born. Her hips weren’t in their sockets, and that had to be corrected shortly after birth by a cast that she wore for four months – a cast that went from waist to ankle. It was a nightmare.
6.) I love my kid, but I hate pretty much everything about parenting. I often think I wasn’t cut out for this and feel bad that little Squid didn’t get the best mom in the world, and that I will have to do.
7.) If I don’t have coffee before 3pm I get killer headaches that will ruin the rest of my day. I am totally addicted to it and I don’t have any plans on giving it up.
8.) I have a sordid history with drugs and sex that I haven’t written about yet here, but plan to eventually. I just never have had a safe place to tell my stories and now I am starting to feel like I can.
9.) My favorite flavor in the world is pina colada – the combination of pineapple (my favorite fruit) and coconut bring me to my knees with their deliciousness, and I will always be THAT GIRL at the restaurant who has to order a frozen pina colada if they are on the menu.
10.) I write almost compulsively. When I’m not blogging, I am usually tinkering on a novel in progress or writing in my moleskine journal of the month. Yes, I’ve been known to fill a whole journal in a month with my ramblings to myself, mostly about the writing process.
11.) This blog is saving my life. Sometimes I think that putting on the mask of Janie Doh a couple of months ago was the best thing I could ever do for myself – it gives me a place to be myself without fear of judgement from people I know, and blogging really is better than therapy.
NOW. The second part of the Sunshine blog award states that I have to answer the eleven questions that Samara asked of me, so here we go with those questions…. you really are getting to know a lot about me today!
1. What is the first thing you do as soon as you wake up in the morning? I put my pants and socks back on – I can’t sleep with pants or socks on, it’s just wrong.
2. What is your greatest fear? Death, no doubt. I have daily imaginings of my own death and sometimes it leads me to panic attacks, which is really not good.
3. Do you have a new years resolution for 2014? I have three. To blog daily, to write and publish a novel, and to quit smoking. All lofty-ass goals.
4. What is your favorite song at the moment? I am still really digging “Royals” by Lorde
5. What is your favorite childhood memory? When I was a kid I used to go camping all the time with my grandparents – the times at the campground around the fire at night are definitely my favorite memories.
6. Facebook or Twitter? Neither!! I’m going with Samara on this one, WordPress is where it’s at. Tumblr is very cool too.
7. What did the last text message you received say? “BOOOOOOOOO”
8. What bugs you the most? People who chew with their mouths open.
9. What do you consider to be the most important appliance in your house? The toilet. I would not be a happy camper without indoor plumbing.
10. If you could have one song that would play whenever you entered a room, what would it be? “Float On” by Modest Mouse.
11. What’s your favorite movie quote? Almost every other sentence of Fight Club.
Now, to nominate bloggers, this was hard for me. There was no way I was going to come up with eleven, so I’m going to nominate just two like Samara did. I nominate Kate from Kate Runs This because she is a rock star for getting through all the Reverb prompts in December, and Amy from Silver Linings Project, because she is just awesome and I love her attitude.